Friday, December 11, 2009

Firewood Storage Shed Plans - You Can Build Your Own Firewood Storage Shed

A few years back my wife and I bought our first house, until then it had been apartment living for us. Back then the thought of firewood storage shed plans never entered my mind.

However, now that I was a homeowner a lot of extra responsibilities came along with the title. It is super expensive these days to hire craftsmen to do anything for you, so I was forced to learn how to build my own projects and that is where I learned about plans.


Since I have a fireplace for the first time and it's really cool, I never thought much about where I would get the wood to burn or where I would store it, so for the first year our beautiful fireplace went unused.

One night we were having dinner with the neighbors and he offered me a set of firewood storage shed plans and also me told me where I could get the wood.

Getting the wood was the easy part. I actually got mine from the back of a truck, but you can also get wood from ads in the newspaper or your towns trading post. I just wasn't sure how capable I was at building the shed, so convincing me that I needed to build some kind of storage shed for the wood was much harder to do and I actually refused to do it that first year and ended up with wet rotting wood.

I finally broke down and built a little shelter for my wood. I found the plans my neighbor had given me and took them to the hardware store to get a quote for the materials. I them drove over o the local lumber yard and they beat the price by more than 10%.

The shed consisted of three walls and a roof and the floor was actually cinder blocks over some plastic covering to keep the moisture out. As I stacked the wood I placed mouse poison deep inside so dogs or other wild life could not get to it.

I tried stacking the wood as loosely as possible to make sure there was good airflow. I got my wood towards the end of winter and put it in the shed to season up a bit in time for the following winter.

I recommend that if you have a fireplace, you build yourself a firewood storage shed and that you get a good set of plans to build it. I have learned that having a good set of plans for any wood working project will save you time and money.

Make sure you price shop, take your plans to a few lumber yards and hardware stores for quotes, this way you can save a lot of money. Your firewood will be dry and clean and will burn easily. There is just nothing better than a warm crackling fire on a cold winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment